4 Feb 2010

Let it rain!

Today, I would like to take a shower. A long and hot one. But I can't.
I would also like to do wash my clothes, but I can't.
And when I use the toilet I would like to flush, but I can't.
When we prepare food, we have to be careful to make just the right amount, overspending of water would be bad.
After cooking, I would like to wash the utensils but I can't.
Photo: Audhild Rue
In Kenya right now there is an on going drought. For the three weeks that I've been in Nakuru there hasn't been a single drop of rain. The sun is burning outside and it is hot. Last week the janitor started rationing the water. Now, we only have running water two days a week.

Photo: Audhild Rue

I look at the place where we store water. The situation right now is as following, we have twenty litres of water. That water is needed for cooking, washing and other things. We don't have anymore water than that and we don't know when we'll have running water in the taps again.. A natural solution would be to go to Njoro river and get more water from there. But it has been badly polluted. The river comes from the Mau forest. The forest that is supposed to have the hightes rate of rain. It hasn't anymore.

Photo: Taken from the internett
The two photos here are from the same place. The difference in huge!

Photo: Audhild Rue


So, what to do next? For Miriam and me, the answer is simple. We go to the supermarket, buy 10l of fresh water. It only costs us 220 shilling. Maybe we buy two bottles.
But then, what about the other ones? The families that can't afford bying water, that either has to wait for the rains to come or use the water in Njoro river.
What about them?

1 comment:

  1. Godt skrevet Audi!
    Håper du har det godt

    Luv from La PAz

    ReplyDelete